Dear Mummy, we’re not food bloggers or bakers. Far from it! Actually, my mummy has never really tried baking a cake before. We’ve managed little fairy cakes and cupcakes in the past but never a ‘big’ cake.
Originally we were going to do the ‘showstopper challenge’ alongside The Great British Bake Off #GBBO each week, but this was a little too ambitious, especially for someone who doesn’t bake! It’s equally as hard to bake with a mad toddler running around causing a muck!
We decide to make a chocolate cake for Daddy as its his favourite and to say thank you for all his support in the last couple of weeks. See my mummy has been feeling low and not herself and daddy has helped with the running of the house.
As non-bakers, we decided to enlist the help of Betty Crocker who produces quick and easy pre-mixed recipes. My mummy couldn’t screw this up! Even a child could make this chocolate cake! We used the shop bought pre-mix “Devils Food Cake” and the filling “Chocolate Fudge Icing” for the middle and the top of the cake, all we needed was eggs, water and vegetable oil.
Ingredients to make Devils Food Cake
- 1 box Betty Crocker Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- 90 ml vegetable oil (4½ tbsp)
- 250 ml water
- 3 medium free range eggs
- 1 tub Betty Crocker Chocolate Fudge Icing
- Mix the eggs, oil, water and the Betty Crocker Devil’s Food Cake Mix gently together, and whisk (by hand or electric mixer) for 2-3 minutes, until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the cake mixture evenly into your two greased cake tins.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for between 23-28 minutes or until a rounded knife inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean, then cool on a wire rack. Sandwich your cakes together and cover with lashings of Betty’s Chocolate Fudge Icing.
A perfect easy bake for a little devil, like me, to make for my Daddy. He was lucky there was any left when he came home from work!! I did all the mixing and waited patiently for the cake to rise. Afterwards, once the cake had cooled, I helped ice the cake in chocolate fudge. A lot of it went into my mouth and I was a sugar crazed toddler for the rest of the afternoon.
We’d recommend these pre-mixes to anyone short of time and baking skills – it was easy peasy and it tasted great!
Love Bella x