Dear Mummy, the lockdown crafting crisis is real. It seems the whole nation is crafting for homeschooling and to keep us kids occupied. And why not? We love crafting and it’s great for problem solving and creativity. But it makes it harder to buy art materials online.
We spent weeks trying to get crafting/art supplies during lockdown, without realising that you can actually craft with a lot of materials that you might already have in your cupboards or lying around. We were surprised to find a lot of our missing essentials at Viking Direct too!
We joined in with the Viking Direct craft challenge #CraftingWithViking and they sent us a package of materials to use which included toilet rolls, pens, bubble wrap, tape, tissue paper, paper straws, chocolate and handsoap. I wonder what I can craft with all this?! The possibilities are endless for a kid with a big imagination like me!
We watched some craft workshops and created fire breathing dragons and chocolate bubble wrap with our supplies from Viking Direct. I had great fun using my imagination and turning something ordinary into something really cool! I’ve popped my crafting attempts below and let me know which one is the best!
Chocolate Bubble Wrap
Follow our step-by-step instructions below to make this yummy chocolate bubble wrap!
2) Wash your hands at the start in order to touch food products. Clean your working area thoroughly, we used some disinfectant spray.
3) Cut a small piece of bubble wrap about A4 size and give it a quick wash and dry. Crumble 3-4 chocolate bars into a small bowl using your fingers to squash the Aero and watch it melt into the bowl. *try not to lick the bowl – I couldn’t resist*
4) Ensure you stir after each 30 second blast, so you can evenly distribute the heat and help it melt quicker.
5) Pour the melted chocolate onto the bubble wrap and then spread it over evenly with a spatula or knife, making sure it’s not too thinly spread. Pop it into the fridge for about 30 minutes to set.
6) Whilst the chocolate is setting, clean your working area again wiping away any spilt chocolate etc. After it’s set peel back the bubble wrap from the chocolate and be amazed at your homemade chocolate bubble wrap.
7) We thought the chocolate looked like honeycomb when it came out of the make-shift mould, so we made a little bumble-bee to accompany it.
Fire Breathing Dragons
We also made a dragon with our household supplies too. It’s amazing how many empty loo rolls have collected since lockdown began and if you are looking for extra toilet roll then Viking Direct sell it!
We used a toilet roll (minus the toilet paper of course!), coloured paper and tissue paper to create this little beauty. It helped that we had a sharpie to draw on the face. I made so many different versions and my folks were amazed that it kept me occupied for hours. If you breath through the empty toilet roll *cough* I mean the dragon, the tissue paper flutters too – which is pretty epic!.
So what do you think of our crafts? Pretty cool eh? You can be as creative as you like and I’m especially fond of the chocolate bubble wrap! But then it’s hard for me to resist chocolate.
It’s amazing what you can pick-up from Viking Direct and it beats hunting down craft supplies from the usual outlets! These are great activities to do during lockdown and the summer holidays and with a bit of imagination you can make anything. If all else fails you can always repurpose the items, well maybe not the chocolate 😉
Disclosure: We we’re kindly sent some supplies from Viking Direct, all interpretations of the craft challenge are our own.