Dear Mummy, emotions always run high during the Festive period. All the pressure and expectation of putting on a great Christmas can leave you feeling a bit flat in the New Year.
Just like returning from a fab holiday many of us suffer from the holiday blues. But what makes it worse in January is that the weather is miserable, people are skint and the whole world seems to be on a bloody diet.
Cutting back, denying, making strict resolutions and feeling like a failure is not a good way to start the year!
Here’s what WE do to beat the January blues!
1) Don’t diet. Don’t deny yourself simple pleasures in life during January. Eat. It’s a hard month without chocolate and wine in hand. Start making sacrifices in the warmer months when you can substitute hearty meals for green salads. Everything tastes better with sunshine!
2) Book an adventure. Whether it be a small staycation or an elaborate destination abroad, booking a holiday will give you something to look forward too!
3) Be thankful. Write yourself a ‘thankful’ list. Start off basic and remind yourself how lucky you are to have a roof over your head.
4) See friends and talk to people. Don’t hide yourself away dodging social events because you are skint, on a diet or feeling fat. I’m sure seeing your mates or worse case curling up on the sofa with your online mates will help cheer you up. Don’t hide – chat.
5) Start a new hobby. Try and focus your negativity on learning something new. We’re learning how to knit!! (2nd year running!!)
6) Window shop. Make a wish list and lose yourself in a dream world. Use Pinterest to fantasize over that beautiful bedroom. You still get the same satisfaction pinning than you do spending money!
7) Escape. If you have the time read a book or lose yourself in a movie – do it! Find your escape from the daily grind.
8) Play the lottery! You gotta be in it to win it, there has been loads of rollovers already in the Lotto….who knows it could change your life!
9) Write a diary. Write down what’s making you unhappy and try to change it. I know it’s hard and sometimes you are stuck in an awkward situation that you sometimes can’t get out of, but try to find a solution even if it’s only a small change for the better.
10) Hibernate. If all else fails….sleep through it! Wait for the Spring. That’s what bears do….isn’t it?
*This is no way intended to be sound advice! This is what WE do to lighten the mood on dreary January days*
Love Bella x